Bergen New Bridge Medical Center Achieves NICHE DesignationBergen New Bridge Medical Center is one of only two hospitals in Bergen County to achieve designation for geriatric nursing specialty. Bergen New Bridge Medical Center is certified as a Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders (NICHE) facility. New Bridge is one of only two NICHE designated hospitals in Bergen County and one of 29 hospitals in New Jersey. The new NICHE certification continues New Bridge’s dedication to providing geriatric specialty services throughout its facility, not just within its long term care division, which is the largest licensed nursing home in New Jersey and one of only 6% accredited by the Joint Commission. As part of a full-service, accredited hospital, the LTC program is able to provide its residents with access to on-site nurses and other medical professionals day and night. The NICHE specialization better prepares nurses in the Acute Division to work with the geriatric population they frequently encounter. NICHE, a program of the Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing at New York University College of Nursing, supports hospitals with implementing best practices in the treatment and care of older patients by preparing staff nurses to identify and develop creative solutions for the special needs and issues of the geriatric population. Several New Bridge nurses have completed the NICHE Leadership Training Program and will spearhead initiatives to train staff nurses in recognizing and treating the special concerns of older patients. They will also continue to design new and innovative programs to provide a socially and physically inviting environment for patients and long term care residents.
About NICHEA program of the Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing at New York University College of Nursing, the goal of NICHE is to achieve systematic nursing change that will benefit hospitalized older patients. The vision of NICHE is for all patients 65 and over to be given sensitive and exemplary care. The mission of NICHE is to provide principles and tools to stimulate a change in the culture of healthcare facilities to achieve patient-centered care for older adults. Visit the NICHE website at www.nicheprogram.org. The NICHE website has resources for patients and families, webinars, the NICHE Encyclopedia, a knowledge center, videos, and many helpful resources. Bergen New Bridge Medical Center has completed the requirements to be NICHE certified and participates in the implementation of best practices to improve care outcomes for geriatric patients and families. There are 29 New Jersey hospitals and over 300 in the US and Canada that are certified.
- Provide excellent bedside nursing to older hospitalized adults.
- Develop a corps of nurses armed with the clinical competencies to meet the needs of older adult and serve as resources to other staff.
- Stimulate interest in gerontologic care.
- Develop incentives and improve morale for nurses caring for the older adult.
- Provide a mechanism for professional growth of nurses.
- Enhance the nurse-patient relationship and patient satisfaction.
- Promote the effectiveness of the interdisciplinary team.
- Increase implementation of evidence-based clinical practice.
- Provide optimal utilization of hospital services.
- Facilitate safe and effective discharges.
- Promote continuity of care between the hospital and other settings.